Pages

Friday 12 December 2014

Jab Khud khana banaoge tab pata chalega.


Either I am becoming my Mom or the sentence from my childhood is still haunting me “Jab khud khana banaoge tab pata chalega”.  I keep saying this phrase so often, that I think that I am my Moms brains in my body. But wait my Moms sentence has changed now, its more like “Ab pata chala” or “I told you” with the mocking smile. Life has come Full Circle.
Sacre bleu! French Kids Eat Everything - Bon Appetit - mom.me
Whats for dinner you said?
 I made the healthiest Veggie Khichdi the other day, after braving to ask the maid to cut so many veggies. Now you tell me, what is wrong with a wholesome nutrition packed meal. For a moment there is utter silence on the table, as if we are moaning the death of a good meal. “What?” I said and everyone started complaining left right and center. Kids say “There is tomato and beans. Yuck” And Mr Husband, “It feels like I am back to the hostel days, when I used to eat just for the heck of it and couldn’t really tell what it is.” So what am I supposed to say when Aunty-in-law says, I am not feeding the poor baby husband healthy food, and so he is unfit.  And my kids are malnourished, because I eat all the food.

Food items
Papa
Mom
Kids
Vegetables – Potato
Sometimes
Always
Never
Potato
Always
Sometimes
Never
Pizza/ Pasta/ Noodles/ Burger
Never
Sometimes
Always
Fruits
Never
Always
Sometimes
Samosa/ Kachori/ Pakoda/ Chaat
Alwayd
Sometimes
Never
Laddu/ Chakki/ Halwa
Always
Never
Sometimes
Ice-cream/ Cakes
Always
Always
Always
  
After this recent study on my family, I think I should only make Cakes/ Ice-creams to make everyone happy at the same time.
Mom makes the best curries, dal, paranthas, samosas, even the plain dahi or salad she makes, is just awesome. When she comes to stay with us, I still don’t remember after 10 years of my marriage that I have cooked for her even once. I am not very proud of that, but I have come to realize now, that home cooked food made with Moms love is the best. I miss her cooking. My mouth is watering with the thought of the amazing spread she prepares everyday, putting in so much thought, effort and pain. And as a kid, when we used to come back from school or afternoon classes, she used to serve hot snacks everyday. I can’t even think of doing that, even if I have nothing else to do.

I put in half the effort and time (half of which is my maids effort) as my Mom and then when someone complains, I feel so offended and demotivated. My motivation level to cook everyday is already low, and then there are offers on Monday Magic, Don’t cook Wed offer, thank god its Friday offer. But Mom I remember used to never order, never ever and going to restaurants was considered a luxury.

The meaning of “Jab Khub banaoge tab pata chalega” has really evolved now. It makes me feel guilty that I was so unappreciative. To make my kids repent and appreciative one day, I too have decided to pass the sentence with so much Depth and hidden meaning to the next generation. And then laugh one day, saying “Ab pata chala”.

THIS ONE'S FOR YOU MOM. I know I don't say it enough but,I Love You. More Now.

5 comments:

  1. The food table is just awesome Namrata.. and best part is it has come centrally aligned just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aligning a Table in MSWord is an Art and deriving the table has been a result of a long dedicated research of 10 years of marriage.

      Delete
  2. I remember Mom giving us so many options just to not make us eat noodles. And we as parents are so happy when our kids tell us to make that. Now we know her importance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss Mom's cooking everyday esp when when I realise that I have learnt nothing from her and taken her for granted.

      Delete